12 March 2012

spears

 
Asparagus reminds of vegetarian lasagna. And I understand that the information I have just shared with you confuses you but I have my reasons. My mother makes very good vegetarian lasagna and she tends to be a bit experimental. Anyway, it works. 

You know and I know that I do not do well with the cheeses anymore but I have moved on and it turns out that I like asparagus, even when it is not hidden in sauce and cheese.

Here is a super simple side dish for people who like balsamic vinegar...

BRAISED BALSAMIC ASPARAGUS SPEARS 

1 bundle of fresh asparagus 
olive oil 
balsamic vinegar
salt
pepper
dried chili

This is where I could pretend that I measured ingredients and timed the whole thing but I did not. However, do not fear, I was not kidding when I said this is super simple. 

Wash the asparagus and cut off the bottoms (just the very bottom, like a 1/2 inch). Spread the spears out in a single layer on a cookie sheet or silicon roasting dish or whatever, if you are using your best cookie pan, maybe put down a layer of wax paper so you don't ruin it with the vinegar. 

Drizzle the asparagus with olive oil (probably 2-3 tbsp) then drizzle with balsamic vinegar (same amount). Sprinkle with chunky salt, fresh-ground pepper, and crushed dried chili flakes. 

Toss them with your hands to get each spear coated with goodness and pop them in the oven. Check on them in 15 minutes (eat one), but it will probably take 20.

Image from Google Images. 

No comments:

Post a Comment