28 November 2011

what happens when i try to make junk food


If you know me well, you know my love of potato chips, but other than that, I do not have much interest in junk food. I tend to force as many vegetables as possible into my meal/day/life. To me, sloppy joes are junk food. There is ketchup in them. That just seems like someone made a mistake. But I am an experimenter, if nothing else, and I decided to make a big ol' sloppy sandwich - vegan style. Then Connor convinced me it was good enough to share. So I hope you like it.

My vegan sloppy joes with corn and edamamae. 

I don't have to tell you everything is organic when I write a recipe, right?  Y'all know that. 

1 splash of oil (olive, grapeseed, whatever)
1 package YVES ground round (I prefer Italian, Con prefers Asian)
1/4 cup diced or shredded onion 
less than 1/4 cup diced or shredded zucchini 
less than 1/4 cup shredded carrot 
less than 1/4 cup frozen corn kernels 
less than 1/4 cup frozen edamame beans 
less than 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper (any colour will do, i went with red because there was no other red veg in this recipe)
1 glove clove minced garlic (what on earth would a glove of garlic look like?? oh, brain...)
1 tsp brown sugar (packed tight)
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp soy sauce 
dash of worcestershire if you have it (I never do, but I think it would be good)
1/4 cup ketchup 
salt + pepper


Pot, check. Oil in pot, check. Add all your veg on a medium/low heat and let it cook until the onions go translucent (about 10 minutes). Stir everything occasionally so the garlic doesn't burn (you know how I feel about that). 

Next, add the sugar, dijon, soy, ketchup, salt and pepper, and YVES. Mix everything really well and let the YVES heat through (about 6 minutes). 

Since we're friends, I'll share my preferred serving method: stuffed into a toasted whole wheat bun with melted (lactose-free) cheese and fresh avocado. 


Yumm. 


Photo from Google Images.

1 comment:

  1. A photo of the finished product could have been a great addition to the post. :)

    ReplyDelete