19 January 2014

hi

I am not making any grand promises. But I am giving you a recipe for braised lentils (vegan). You can thank Martina for that. And Geoff for the recipe basics. And I should thank Robyn for the wicked garlic she gave me. Should I be embarrassed to admit I had never braised anything before? 

Because I'm not.  


 BRAISED LENTILS 

I didn't measure anything, sorry about that. 

1 large white onion, diced
2 carrots, diced 
4 cloves garlic, peeled & minced 
6-8 mushrooms, sliced 
Dried green lentils 
Olive oil 
Chili powder
Paprika
Bay leaves 
Lemon
Salt & pepper

Rinse your lentils. 

Pour some olive oil (maybe 2-3 Tbsp) into a casserole dish or dutch oven. Put on medium heat and add the onion and carrot. Let that sweat for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms (and a bit more oil if needed). Stir in chili, paprika, salt, and pepper (1-2 tsp of each) and give it 2-3 minutes. 

Pour a layer of lentils over your veggies so you have a roughly equal lentil to veggie ratio. Cover everything in water or vegetable stock, allowing for an inch or two of liquid above the lentil & veggie mix. Add 3 bay leaves. Stir gently to mix. Bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat to low, cover, and let the lentils simmer for 20-25 minutes. Stir once or twice to ensure you have sufficient liquid and nothing is sticking to the bottom of your dish. When done, you should still have maybe an inch of liquid at the bottom of the dish and the lentils will crush easily when bitten. Season to taste (for me, that means more salt). Portion out and add a small squeeze of lemon. 

Enjoy. 
 
My photo (view on Instagram @aisforaubrie). 

No comments:

Post a Comment