09 May 2012

risk-taking

Vegan mac 'n cheese has always seemed like risky business to me. It just looked too dang hard. Too bad for the Con since he loves all cliched comfort foods. Finally I decided to stop looking via foodgawker and just make my own. I didn't like the look of any one recipe specifically so I made my own. 

AND IT WORKED. Seriously, well beyond my expectations. 

imagine this but CHEESIER

VEEG MAC 'N CHEESE
Keep in mind this was a trial run so the recipe is quite small. Serves 1-2 people as is. I would double, maybe triple if I wanted left-overs (which was a direct request from the man for next time). 

1/2 package spiral brown rice pasta noodles (or whatever noodles)
1/4 cup minced zucchini
1/4 cup minced red pepper
1/4 cup minced onion
1/2 a jalapeno, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup vegetable broth 
2 tbsp nutritional yeast (it was my first time using nutritional yeast and it is BOMB)
1/2 tbsp flour 
3/4 cup cheddar daiya shreds
1 tsp mustard 
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
olive oil 
paprika
salt
pepper


All the veggies are minced because I am sort of hiding them in this dish. Anyway...


Preheat oven to 400 F. 

Pot. Water. Boil. Cook pasta as per package directions. Drain and pour into baking dish.


Meanwhile, add some olive oil to a pan and sautee your zucchini, red pepper, onion, jalapeno, and garlic for approximately 5-7 minutes, until the onion goes transparent. In hindsight, mushrooms would be an excellent addition. Actually next time I make this I am going to do a strictly mushroom and kale veggie mix.

Add veggies to pasta. Mix in mustard, paprika, salt (not much) and pepper.

Start a saucepan with veggie broth, nutritional yeast, and flour on low heat. Whisk and heat thoroughly (about 3 minutes). Pour sauce over pasta and veggies. Add daiya shreds. Mix everything well. 


Add a layer of breadcrumbs on top and drizzle with olive oil. Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes (breadcrumbs should be browned and daiya melted). 


Nom. 

Image from spices and spackle. Mine was gone too fast for any photographic evidence, sorry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment