05 March 2012

best toast ever


I love the green stuff. As strongly as I support local food and (over)think the 100-mile diet, I would probably shrivel up and perish sans-avo for any significant period of time. So I apologize to the party-goers at Jess' last night because it was me, I ate all of the avocado toasts. I know you blame Jess and she did try to get one or two but, really, I must have had at least twelve. 

One cool thing I know about avocados (thank you lynn crawford and the food network) is that they like to grow on hills! Which may be a boring or interesting fact to you depending on your general interest in trivia, and what type of mood I have caught you in, but it is a fact nonetheless.

You can thank the lovely Emily Kupp for this one...

AVOCADO CHIMICHURRI BRUSCHETTA 

I strongly suggest doubling this recipe. 

2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and cubed
2 tbs lemon juice 
2 tbs red wine vinegar 
3 cloves garlic, minced (as always, I suggest Russian Red)
3/4 tsp salt 
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes  
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 cup olive oil (the good stuff b/c you are serving it cold so you will be able to taste the flavour of the olive oil - heating destroys the flavour so always save your good stuff for the chilled dishes)
1/4 fresh cilantro, chopped 
1/4 fresh (italian) parsley, chopped 
1 baguette (whole wheat is best, gives the whole thing a bit more texture), sliced 


Toast the baguette slices. 

Combine lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and oregano in a bowl. Whisk in oil, then stir in cilantro and parsley. Fold in your avocado cubes. 

Spoon avocado mixture onto toast slices.

Serve. To me. 

Recipe adapted from Vegetarian Times, September 2008. Image from Google Images.

No comments:

Post a Comment