06 August 2011

easy-peasy polenta


Polenta was never something that managed to work its way into the kitchens of my youth. I sort of only really found out it existed in my adulthood and since it was so foreign, I didn't really know what to do with it (and I still haven't truly figured out how to be spontaneous with polenta). So when it comes to using the crazy stuff, a recipe really helps me out. Like this one...

POLENTA CAKES WITH WHITE BEANS AND TOMATOES 

1 tube polenta, sliced into 12 slices
Cooking Spray (I don't use this but it is in the original recipe so I included it for you)
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
2 cups grape tomatoes, halved (or strawberry or cherry tomatoes)
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
Handful fresh basil, chopped
Handful freshly shredded Parmesan (obviously exclude this step for the lactose-intolerant or vegans)

Preheat broiler. Place polenta slices in pan, spray with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Broil for 7-8 minutes, or until warm and slightly crisp.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. (I like to start the sautee with diced onions which need to cook a minute or two longer than garlic and tomatoes). Add garlic and tomatoes (minced fresh jalapeno is a nice touch too). Cook until garlic is soft and tomatoes are soft—about 4 minutes. Add beans and vinegar. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through. Remove from heat, add basil and salt and pepper to taste.
Plate three polenta slices, top with 1/4 of the tomato mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese (or nix the cheese, your choice).

Photo from backtoherroots.com. Original recipe by Cassie at backtoherroots.com. Italic notes from yours truly. 

1 comment: