08 July 2010

in honour

In honour of my new job, here is a recipe from the chef's (very popular) cookbook that he co-authored with his wife. My mum has this cookbook. And now that I was able to get a copy at cost, so do I. Some of the recipes are on the current menu, most are not. So there will be plenty of surprises when you come in for a visit complimented by a most excellent meal. I am a big fan of both eggplants and simple recipes so here is a quick salad because it is summer and summer is when we all seem to really appreciate salads (even if it is a warm salad). Also, this recipe is pretty basically spiced so you won't need to go out and buy anything exotic, other than mango powder. Sorry I don't have my own photo for you, I have been so busy lately but I think I start to get my life/sanity back in the next week or so and I'll pick up the slack, promise.



WARM EGGPLANT, ONION AND TOMATO SALAD

3 large eggplants in 1/2 inch rounds
1 & 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
2 large onions, in thick slivers
6 tbsp canola or olive oil
1 tsp mango powder
1 large tomato, in large chunks

Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large shallow roasting pan, combine eggplant, salt, cayenne, onions and oil. Mix thoroughly (with your hands, you wiener), then bake on the middle rack for 25 minutes, or until eggplant is tender (if the weather stays like it is, and your place is as small as mine, you might want to escape to your deck/balcony/fire escape with a cold beer or glass of white wine for this bit where your oven heats up your apartment). Remove from the oven and immediately add mango powder and tomato chunks while still hot . Mix well and serve.

Divide warm eggplant salad among bowls. If serving with couscous or rice, pour warm eggplant over equal portions in large bowls.

Original recipe from Vij's: Elegant & Inspired Indian Cuisine by Vikram Vij and Meeru Dhalwala, Vancouver: Douglas & McIntyre, 2006. Photo from Google Images.

No comments:

Post a Comment